While some government sites are dry, dull, and boring, Johnston County officials have clearly put some time and effort into creating a site that is not only user friendly, but aesthetically pleasing as well. I think it's pretty safe to say that we've all visited some government websites that are so unattractive and useless that it's a wonder anyone even bothered to create them in the first place.
If you're conducting genealogy research about ancestors of centuries past, The Heritage Center of Johnston County is probably going to be your best bet. In addition to offering a wide variety of materials available for research on-site, they also offer several searchable databases online.
Some of their online databases include:
- Johnston County Marriage Bonds 1779-1853
- Johnston County Confederate Soldiers
- Newspaper Obituaries 1801-present
- 1902 Voter Registration Records
Some of their on-site databases include:
- Civil War Prison and Service Records
- Wills 1746-1870
- Court minutes 1759-1850
- Johnston County Deeds 1759-1947