The Currituck Beach Lighthouse was erected on the North Carolina coast in 1875. Situated between the Bodie Island and Cape Henry lighthouses to the south and north respectively, its exterior was not painted so that it could easily be distinguished from the other lighthouses in the area.
Standing 162 feet high, the lighthouse beacon is still operational today.
- The lighthouse tower is the only major tower in the mid-Atlantic region that has never been painted
- There are 214 steps to the top of the lighthouse
- Approximately one million bricks were used during construction
- It was the last major brick lighthouse to be built on the Outer Banks